Online Privacy Statement
What information does this Online Privacy Statement cover?
Your privacy concerns are important to Securian Canada (“Securian“), and we are committed to safeguarding, preserving, and respecting the privacy rights of our customers and visitors. This Online Privacy Statement (the “Statement”) describes our practices concerning the collection, use, disclosure, and security of the information that we gather about you through our website https://www.securiancanada.ca (the “Website”), and the choices and rights you have regarding your information. This Statement is provided in compliance with the Personal Information Protection and Electronic Documents Act (Canada) and, where applicable, similar provincial privacy legislation.
In addition to this Statement, we also have other privacy policies that may apply to you. For more information about our privacy policies, please visit our Privacy Code.
This Statement doesn’t apply to any other website maintained by other companies or organizations to which we link. Securian is not responsible for the content or activities provided on those websites.
You consent to this statement
You should read this Statement carefully. We recommend printing and retaining a copy for your future reference. By accessing, browsing, or otherwise using the Website, you confirm that you have read, understood, and agreed with this Statement. If you do not agree to this Statement, you may not use this Website.
This Statement applies regardless of how the Website is accessed and will cover any technologies or devices by which Securian makes the Website available to you.
If you have any questions or concerns about Securian’s personal information policies or practices, please contact us using the information provided in the “Contact us” link below.
What information is collected and how?
Information you provide
We collect the following information that you voluntarily provide to us:
- Financial and Personal Information Provided to Receive Services. If you are a customer, you may need to provide certain financial and personal information to facilitate the provision of our services.
- Completing forms on our Website. If you request to receive information or fill out any forms on our Website, we may ask you to provide information such as your name, email address, and/or mailing address.
- Email. If you send us an email, we will collect your email address and any information that you provide in the email.
- Social Media. If you interact with our Website by sharing on a social media platform, we may collect information that you post. Please note that your comments will be visible to the public, so you should never share personal information that you would like to keep private.
- Applying for a Job. If you apply for a job through the Website, we will collect personal information relating to your application.
Information we collect as you navigate our website
We automatically collect certain information as you use the Website, such as the following:
- Usage Information. We may collect information automatically through your use of the Website, such as which of the pages on the Website you access, the frequency of access, and what you click on while on our Website.
- Device Information. We may collect information about the device you are using, such as hardware model, operating system, application version number, browser, and IP addresses.
- Mobile Device Information. In addition to the Device Information listed above, when you access our Website via a browser on your mobile device, we may collect mobile network information, including telephone number, the unique device identifier assigned to that device, mobile carrier, operating system, and other device attributes.
- Location Information. We may collect information about your actual location which may be determined from GPS and other sensors that may reveal information on or nearby devices, Wi-Fi access points, and cell towers.
How do we use “cookies” and other tracking technologies?
We may send one or more Cookies to your computer or other device. We may also use other similar technologies such as tracking pixels, tags, web beacons or similar tools when you visit our Website. These technologies can collect data regarding your operating system, browser type, device type, screen resolution, IP address, and other technical information, as well as navigation events and session information as you interact with our Website. This information allows us to understand how you use the Website.
What are cookies?
- Estimate our audience size and usage patterns;
- Store information about your preferences, allowing us to customize our Website according to your individual needs;
- Contact you to provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- Advertise new content, events, and services that relate to your interests;
- Provide you with more personalized content that is most relevant to your interest areas; and
- Recognize when you return to our Website.
We set some Cookies ourselves and others may be set by third parties. You can manage your Cookies preference as described in the “Managing your cookies” section below.
What types of cookies do we use and why?
These are the different types of Cookies that we and our service providers may use on the Website:
- Essential cookies. These Cookies are required for the operation of the Website and enable you to move around the Website and use its features. Disabling these Cookies can negatively impact the Website’s performance.
- Analytics, performance and research cookies. These Cookies allow us to analyze activities on the Website. They can be used to improve the functioning of the Website. For example, these Cookies recognize and count the number of visitors and see how they move around the Website. Analytics Cookies also help us measure the performance of our advertising campaigns to help us improve them and to optimize the Website’s content for those who engage with our advertising.
- Functionality cookies. These Cookies are used to recognize you when you return to the Website. This enables us to personalize content for you and remember your preferences.
- Social networking cookies. These Cookies are used to enable you to share pages and content that you find interesting on our Website through third-party social networking and other websites. These Cookies may also be used for advertising purposes.
How long do cookies stay on my device?
Some Cookies operate from the time you visit the Website until the end of that particular browsing session. These Cookies, which are called “session cookies,” expire and are automatically deleted when you close your Internet browser.
Some Cookies will stay on your device between browsing sessions and will not expire or automatically delete when you close your Internet browser. These Cookies are called “persistent cookies” and the length of time they will remain on your device will vary from Cookie to Cookie. Persistent Cookies are used for a number of purposes, such as storing your preferences so that they are available for your next visit and to keep a more accurate account of how often you visit the Website, how your use of the Website may change over time, and the effectiveness of advertising efforts.
Information about interest-based advertising and third-party cookies
We may engage in interest-based advertising or “online behavioral advertising” by collecting (or by allowing third parties to collect) information through this Website about your web-viewing behaviors over time and across non-affiliated websites for the purpose of using that information to predict your preferences or interests and to deliver advertising to you based on the preferences or interests inferred from your web-viewing behaviors. On our website, interest-based advertising may be executed through delivery of third-party cookies to your computer or mobile device.
You have choices about the collection of information by third parties on this Website. If you would like to opt out of having participating entities collect information about your online behaviors for advertising purposes when you are browsing our website, click here for the Digital Advertising Alliance of Canada’s website or click here for the Network Advertising Initiative opt-out which are both “Website Opt Outs.” You will be directed to an industry-developed website that allows you to choose whether each listed entity may collect and use data for interest-based advertising purposes. It may be that some of the third parties that collect interest-based information on this Website do not participate in the Website Opt Outs, in which case the best way to avoid third-party tracking of your online behaviors may be through your browser settings and deletion of cookies.
The Website Opt Out described above works only on websites. To opt out of having participating entities track your behaviors for advertising purposes when you are using our mobile app, download and use the Digital Advertising Alliance’s “App Choices” app. As with the Website Opt Out, the “Mobile App Opt Out: prevents tracking only by participating entities.
Please note that the Website Opt Outs and Mobile App Opt Out are device specific. If you wish to opt-out from having interest-based information collected by participating entities across all devices, you need to take the steps outlined above from each device. If you opt-out of receiving interest-based ads, you will continue to receive advertising, but it will not be based on online behavioural information about you.
Managing your cookies
It may be possible to block Cookies by changing your Internet browser settings to refuse all or some Cookies. If you choose to block all Cookies (including essential Cookies) you may not be able to access all or parts of the Website.
You can find out more about Cookies and how to manage them by visiting www.AboutCookies.org or the Office of the Privacy Commissioner of Canada’s website.
We may use web analytics tools such as Google or Adobe Analytics in order to better understand your experience, such as where you go and what you do on our Website. We may share the information from Cookies with these partners for these purposes.
Does the website respond to “Do Not Track” Signals?
There is currently no industry agreed-upon response to a Do Not Track Signal. At this time, our Website does not respond differently based on a user’s “do not track” signal.
How we use your information
We use personal information we collect about you or that you provide to us in the following ways:
- To present our Website and its contents in a suitable and effective manner for you and your device;
- To contact you to provide you with information or services that you request from us;
- To advertise services that we think may be of interest to you;
- To provide customer support, troubleshoot issues, manage accounts, and respond to requests, questions, or comments;
- To carry out our obligations and enforce our rights arising from any contracts entered into between you and us; and
- To notify you about any additions, upgrades, or changes in our services.
How we share the personal information we collect
Securian may share your personal information:
- With your express authorization for specified purposes;
- With third parties who perform data services (e.g., hosting, maintenance, backup, analysis, etc.) on our behalf;
- To third-party service providers to prepare, deploy and analyze advertising content;
- To other entities that are involved in administering or providing services on our behalf, including, but not limited to your agent, a reinsurance company, or, in the case of job applicants, a company that performs background checks;
- Upon the request of your employer or plan sponsor, to your employer or plan sponsor or a subcontractor working for your employer or plan sponsor regarding your use of this Website;
- To the extent that we are required to do so by law;
- In connection with any legal proceedings or prospective legal proceedings;
- To establish, exercise, or defend our legal rights, including providing information to others for the purposes of fraud prevention;
- To any person who we reasonably believe may apply to a court or other competent authority for disclosure of that personal information where, in our reasonable opinion, such court or authority would be reasonably likely to order disclosure of that personal information;
- To any third parties as part of any business or asset sale or anticipated business or asset sale; and
- To any other person or entity where you consent to the disclosure.
How long is your personal information kept?
We will retain your personal information for as long as necessary to fulfill the purposes for which we collect it and as set out in this Statement and for the purpose of satisfying any legal, accounting, or reporting requirements that apply to us.
The Website contains links to third-party websites. When Securian provides links, it does so only as a convenience and does not endorse any products or services and is not responsible for any content of any third-party website or any links contained within. It is important to note that this Statement only applies to the Website. We are not responsible and assume no responsibility for any personal information collected, stored, or used by any third party as a result of you visiting their website. We also advise that you read the privacy notice of any third-party websites you choose to visit carefully.
The security of your personal information is important to us. We take various reasonable organizational and technical measures to protect your personal information from unauthorized access, disclosure, alteration, or destruction. We have policies and procedures in place to ensure team members know what is expected of them in relation to personal information. We have in place appropriate procedures for accessing our system and access it limited by role. We have also put processes in place to address suspected breaches of your personal information. If required by law to do so, we will notify you and/or the relevant supervisory authority in the event of a data breach.
However, we cannot and do not guarantee complete security, as it does not exist on the Internet.
How we will inform you if we change the Online Privacy Statement
Securian may change this Statement from time to time, and we will post those changes on this Website so that you will always know what information we gather, how we might use that information, and to whom we will disclose it.
This is a Canadian website
The servers that support this Website may be located in Canada or other countries, including the United States. Data protection laws vary from country to country; however, we will process your information in accordance with this Statement no matter where your data is stored. By using the Website, you freely and specifically give us your consent to export your personal information to the United States and to store and use it in the United States as specified in this Statement. You understand that data stored in the other countries may be subject to lawful requests by the courts or law enforcement authorities in that country.